Register for a free trial
Singapore Solutions

Singapore Solutions

Bangladesh shortlists four firms for Matarbari LNG-import terminal

Wed 17 May 2017 by Karen Thomas

Bangladesh shortlists four firms for Matarbari LNG-import terminal
Bangladesh plans two land-based and one FSRU-based LNG-import terminals (credit: Nicolas Raymond)

Bangladesh-based Power Cell has announced a shortlist of four firms to build an LNG-import terminal at Matarbari on Moheshkhali Island in the Bay of Bengal, according to reports from Dhaka.

Power Cell has chosen Mitsui & Co of Japan, Petronet of India, Shell-owned EP International and a Chinese consortium comprising China Huanqiu Contracting and Engineering and Yifeng Industrial Gas Co, reports Bangladesh news daily The Financial Express.

The land-based LNG terminal will import up to 3.5 million tonnes a year (mta). Power Cell has invited tenders for the EPC contract and for a 60 per cent stake in the project. The remaining 40 per cent will be owned by International Finance-owned IFC Infra Ventures and by state-owned Bangladesh Power Development Board.

Bangladesh hopes to import its first LNG early next year, using a floating storage and regasification unit chartered to Petrobangla from US-based Excelerate Energy. Moheshkali Floating LNG will import up to 3.5 mta, using a submerged-turret loading buoy.

Excelerate has signed a 15-year charter deal with Petrobangla but has yet to confirm which vessel it has fixed.

Bangladesh plans to build a second onshore LNG-import terminal on Moheshkhali to import up to 7.5 mta. Petrobangla subsidiary Rupantorito Prakritik Gas invited tenders for that project in March, and will review the bids next month.

Recent whitepapers

Related articles





Knowledge bank

View all